Suspend a parking bay
About parking bay suspensions
Suspending a parking place stops people from parking in it if you need to park a specific vehicle, preserve clear access, work on the highway or store materials. Additional licenses or permissions will be required for certain activities.
We normally suspend permit or paid parking places, however other types of bay may be suspended in exceptional circumstances.
We can’t guarantee that people will not park in a suspended bay, but if they do they’ll get a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) and in certain circumstances the vehicle may be relocated or removed. If you wish to report a vehicle parked in contravention of a parking suspension you can phone our 24-hour enforcement line on 0203 856 0020
You can view parking restrictions to identify parking places to be suspended by searching the map at the Traffweb website. This map will help you locate Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) information, Resident and Business Parking Bays or Parking Restrictions in London Borough of Barnet.
Please be advised that it is the applicant’s responsibility to check that an application matches the parking places available before submitting a suspension request. While we may contact you for clarification, an incorrect application may be delayed or result in the wrong bays being suspended.
Parking places on the public highway can be suspended in certain circumstances, for example for:
- building works
- utility works
- special events
If you need to restrict the use of a location where parking is not normally subject to any restriction, or need to change the use of a location where waiting restrictions apply, you will need to contact the street works team to request a Temporary Traffic Order.
If you’re carrying out building work and require a skip you’ll need to get a skip operator licence
If a suspension application is approved we will provide clear signage to show that the bay is suspended from normal use and waiting and loading is prohibited. The signage will include the extent, duration and purpose of the suspension.
If you request the suspension of a parking place that has already been suspended by another customer or is otherwise unavailable we will contact you to advise.
If you request a parking suspension for the purpose of building works, vehicles connected with those works must park within the suspended area.
Apply for a parking bay suspension
Applications must be submitted at least 5 working days prior to the date you require your suspension to start.
To apply for a parking bay suspension you will need:
- exact location of the bay suspension(s)
- reason for the bay suspension
- number of parking spaces (each bay is 5m in length)
- email address
- your credit or debit card details, we do not accept AMEX
Parking suspensions are charged at a daily rate of £45.00 per day for a resident permit parking space (a 5-metre length), and £60.00 per day for an on street paid parking place (a 5-metre length). There is also an administration fee of £145.00 per application.
You should pay in advance of the suspension being carried out. However, if payment can’t be made in advance we’ll need a purchase order number, with payment being provided shortly afterwards.
Cancellations or changes
Should you need to change or cancel the suspension you have booked, please contact our Parking Permit and Suspension Team as soon as possible.
Please note that cancelling your booking within your permit account will not cancel the booking. It will not normally be possible to change the location or start date of a suspension with less than five days’ notice.
If the signs have already been put on street then we cannot amend a booking and no refund can be issued.
If you need to cancel or amend your suspension (providing the signs have not already been put on street) then there may be additional amounts to pay for amendments and we will too advise you of any refund due.
The administration charge amount for £145.00 per booking is non-refundable.
Contact us for further help
You can contact us by email Parking Permit and Suspension Team or by telephone 0208 359 7446. Our lines are open Monday to Thursday 9 am to 5.15 pm and Friday 9 am to 5 pm.
Parklet locations which we cannot suspend
In order to help businesses make the most of the outdoor space in front of their premises some parking bays around the borough have been suspended to allow the installation of parklets. These locations are listed below. If you require a suspension in the vicinity of these locations, you must contact us to discuss options before making an application.
We cannot suspend parking bays which have been repurposed as a parklet but will do our best to assist with your requirements.
You can also find general information about these measures here.
Chipping Barnet Town Centre
Ye Old Monken Holt, 193 High St, Barnet, London EN5 5SU
East Finchley Town Centre
- Cafe Casa Pepe, 89 High Road, London N2 8AG
- Maddens Bar, 130 High Road, N2 9ED
Edgware Town Centre
- Café de la Poste, 222 Station Road, Edgware, London HA8 7AU
- A and A Sable Pasty and Bakery, 206 Station Road Edgware, London HA8 7AR
- Liam’s Coffee House, 238 Station Road, HA8 7AU
Finchley Central Town Centre
- Annies Free House, 168 Ballards Ln, Finchley, London N3 2PA
- Nowroz Lounge, 127 Ballards Ln, Finchley, London N3 1LJ
- Bespoke Café, 103 Ballards Ln, North Finchley, London N3
- Bellz Caribbean Restaurant, 332 Regents Park Road, N3 2LN
- Impact Store, 6, Station Road, N3 2RY
Golders Green Town Centre
- Florentine, 85 Golders Green Rd, London NW11 8EN
- Hosh Golden Sheesh Ltd, 40-42 Golders Green Rd, London NW11 8LL
- Hummus Bar, 82 Golders Green Road, London NW11 8LN
- Pita, 102 Golders Green Rd, Golders Green, London NW11 8HB
- Novellino Bistro Ltd, 111a – 113 Golders Green Road, London NW11 8EN
Hendon Town Centre
- Visa Place, 134 Brent Street London NW4 2DR
- La Brioche, 81 to 83 Brent Street, NW4 2DY
Mill Hill Town Centre
- Mani and Nick, 20 The Broadway, Mill Hill, London NW7 3LL
- Simple Coffee, 53 The Broadway, London NW7 3DA
- Café Broadway, 26 The Broadway, London NW7 3LL
- BlueBelles, 57 The Broadway, Mill Hill, London NW7 3DA
North Finchley Town Centre
- Lezziz Grill Restaurant, 361 Ballards Lane, North Finchley, London, N12 8LJ
- My Caffe, 731 High Road, North Finchley, London, N12 0BP
- Boulangerie Joie de Vie, 359 Ballards Ln, North Finchley, London N12 8LJ
- MKs Cafe, 787 High Road, N12 8JT
- HSBC Bank, 789 -791, High Road, N12 8JX
Temple Fortune Town Centre
- Joie de vie café, 25 Temple Fortune Parade, London NW11 0QS
- One Ashboure, Temple Fortune, 1255 Finchley Rd, London NW11 0AD
- Gail, 30 Temple Fortune Parade, London NW11 0QX
Whetstone Town Centre
Seventeen Fish Bar, 50-52 Totteridge Lane, Whetstone, London, N20 9QJ