Explosives licence and fireworks registration

Traders who wish to keep and sell fireworks (explosives) at their premises are required to register their premises with us. There's also controls on the method of storage and the maximum quantities that can be kept on site.

When you need a licence

There are only certain times at which fireworks can be sold:

  • Bonfire Night - 15 October to 10 November
  • New Year's Eve - 26 December to 31 December
  • Chinese New Year - on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days preceding it
  • Diwali - on the day of Diwali and the three days preceding it.

Businesses that wish to sell fireworks all year round (outside the above dates) will have to apply for an additional licence.

Regardless of when you are selling your fireworks you will need a registration to store the explosives at your premises.

Before applying for a licence to store fireworks or other pyrotechnic articles please study the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) guidance documents on storing and selling fireworks safely

How to apply

Please use this link to the application form.

Licence fees

The current fees can be found on the HSE website.

An all-year round sale of fireworks licence is currently £500.

What happens next

If you are applying for the first time we will visit you before or shortly after your licence has been granted to assess how you plan to store the explosives both on and off the shop floor.

There are legal requirements for the storage of fireworks. Please see the attached information in relation to the storage and sale of fireworks.  Please also refer to the HSE risk assessment checklist

New trader guidance has recently been introduced, please refer to this document for more information.