Premises licences

Changes to premises licences

Due to the enactment of the Immigration Act 2016 many of the Licensing Act 2003 application forms have been amended. 

In addition some applications now also require proof of right to work in the UK to be provided along with your application documents. 

Please make sure you read through all application forms and the guidance notes provided before you submit your application and ensure that you have all the documents necessary to make a valid application.

Who needs a premises licence

You will need a premises licence  if you are a business such as a cinema, pub, takeaway and late night cafe and you want to provide:

  • sale or supply of alcohol
  • provision of regulated entertainment such as, live or recorded music, sporting events, showing films, dance performances
  • provision of late night refreshment including the sale of hot food or drink at any time between 11pm and 5am.

Who doesn't need to apply for a premises licence

You don't need to apply for a premises licence if you won't be:

  • selling alcohol
  • have live or recorded music from 11pm to 8am. 

For more information about premises capacity, having live or recorded music, please see the Live Music Act  document for more information.

Who can apply

Individuals, businesses or partnerships can all apply for a premises licence. In the case of an individual(s), the applicant must be aged 18 or over and be eligible to work in the UK.

How to apply

There are currently two methods of submitting an application for a new premises licence online or paper applications.

Paper applications

To make an application you must:

  • submit a completed application form, including an 'operating schedule'
  • send copies of the application form and supporting documents to the Responsible Authorities
  • submit a plan of the premises in the prescribed form
  • if the application seeks to allow the supply alcohol, submit a completed designated premises supervisor
  • consent form 
  • If the application is applied for by an individual or non incorporated partnership, then evidence of the applicant’s eligibility to work in the UK must be provided
  • pay the fee, find out how much you need to pay by checking your Non Domestic Rateable Value, please provide us with a contact number so that we can call you for a card payment once the application has been deemed valid.

You can download a copy of a new premises licence application

Once you send us the application you must within 10 days:

  • advertise the application in the local press
  • advertise the application on the premises on light blue paper for 28 days from when the application becomes valid. 

Online applications

If you apply using the online form you do not have to send a copy of your application or accompanying documentation to the responsible authorities. This will be done for you by the Licensing team.

You must however ensure that you pay and submit all the relevant documents that accompany your online application  at the time of submitting it to us at Barnet council.

Apply online for a premises application online

Objections/representations to an application

Responsible authorities and other parties can submit relevant representations either for or against the grant of the application during the consultation period.  In order for a representation to be considered relevant it must relate to one or more of the licensing objectives.

Representations can be made to the Licensing team within the consultation period by letter, email or by submitting the electronic form available. 

All relevant representations must explain how you personally would be affected by the granting of the licence and how it would harm one or more of the licensing objectives. Please note however that anonymous representations cannot be considered.

How the decision is made

All new premises licence application undergo a 28 day consultation period.  Should there not be any relevant representations received by the Licensing Authority after this 28 day period has expired from responsible authorities or other parties, then the licence is granted as applied for.

If relevant representations are received from a responsible authority or other parties then the application will be placed before a Licensing Sub Committee who will make a decision to either grant, refuse or amend the application. The hearing will be arranged by the council and will be held within 20 working days starting the day after the end of the consultation period.

Should any party involved in the application process wish to appeal against the decision made by the Licensing Sub Committee, then they can do so by applying within 21 days of the decision being given, to Hendon Magistrates by way of an application for appeal.

Maintenance of your licence

A premises licence once granted lasts indefinitely unless one of the following occurs:

  • the licence is applied and granted for a limited duration
  • the licence is revoked following a review application
  • the suspension of the licence by a licensing sub committee following a review application
  • the licence lapses due to death, mental incapacity or insolvency of the individual that holds the licence or in the case of a company is dissolved
  • the voluntary surrender of the premises licence
  • the licence is suspended due to the non payment of the annual fee
  • the licence lapses if the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK.

If none of the above applies then the premise licence will remain in place permitting the activities displayed on the current premises licence and the annual fee will be due each year on the anniversary of the grant of the licence.

Failure to pay the annual fee when it is due can lead to the suspension of the premises licence.

Once a licence is granted the licence holder can apply for the following by way of a formal application to the licensing authority. 

Changes to your premises application

Online applications

Make your changes to premises application online

Paper applications

Download forms to make changes to your premises licence 

Send these forms, supporting documentation and contact number for the fee payment to:

Community Protection (Regulation) Licensing Team
2 Bristol Avenue 


If you wish to complain about a premises that you believe is either trading without the necessary licence or are in breach of their licence then please contact us via email or by completing and returning our complaints form.


At any stage, following the grant of a premises licence, a responsible authority, such as the police or the fire authority, or other party, such as a resident, may ask the Licensing Authority to review the licence if they consider that the licensing objectives are not being met.

  • requests for reviews must be made in the correct manner and using the application forms attached
  • once an application is received the licensing team will determine whether to accept the application based on the evidence submitted.


All our licensed premises can be viewed on the register online

Licensing Policy 2020


Community Protection (Regulation) Licensing Team
2 Bristol Avenue 

Tel: 020 8359 7443