Severe Mental Impairment Council Tax discount or exemption
Who can get a Severe Mental Impairment discount or exemption
If you live with other people
You can get a discount if you are older than 18 and have a severe mental impairment.
Each person in the property with a severe mental impairment must apply separately.
If you live by yourself
If you live alone and have a severe mental impairment, you do not have to pay Council Tax and should apply for an exemption
What is severe mental impairment?
The law says that a person is severely mentally impaired if they have a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused), which appears to be permanent. This is likely to include people diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimers.
What you need to apply
You must provide evidence that you are entitled to at least 1 of these qualifying benefits:
- Incapacity benefit or Employment Support Allowance
- Attendance allowance
- Severe disablement allowance
- Unemployment supplement
- the highest or middle rate care component of a disability living allowance
- an increased rate of disablement pension for constant attendance
- Disability working allowance (but only if entitlement is because of prior receipt of incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance)
- Constant attendance allowance payable under the industrial injuries or war pension schemes
- Unemployability allowance payable under the industrial injuries or war pension schemes
- Income support which includes a disability premium on grounds which include incapacity to work
- Retirement Pension where the person concerned would have qualified for one of the above except that they are over pensionable age
- Universal Credit (limited capability for work must be included)
- Standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of PIP.
You can still apply if you do not claim a benefit you’re entitled to.
How to apply
To apply for a Council Tax exemption or discount for a severe mental impairment you must download the severe mental impairment discount and exemption form (PDF, 330 KB)
Each person with a severe mental impairment in the property must complete a copy of the form.
You will need to get the completed form signed by your doctor.
When you have completed the form, please upload it or send it to:
London Borough of Barnet
PO Box 237
To get help with discounts or exemptions, make a general enquiry or call 020 8359 2000
If we have asked you to upload documents to support a claim, you can provide evidence to support a claim using our form.