Register a death
When you should register a death
You should register a death within 5 days from when the person has died.
It should be with the register office in the area where they died.
Who can register the death
You can register the death if you’re:
- a relative
- someone present at the death
- an administrator from the hospital
- the person making arrangements with the funeral directors
- the executor of a will is not automatically entitled to register a death unless they are also arranging the funeral
If English is not your first language and you would like someone to help you with the registration, you can ask a relative or friend to accompany you to the register office.
Documents you need to register a death
To register a death, you need the medical 'cause of death' certificate from the doctor who last treated the person who died.
If the death is passed to the coroner, the cause of death document will be sent direct to the register office.
Please contact us before attending your appointment to make sure we have the documentation.
You’ll need to tell us at the register office:
- the person’s full name at the time of death
- any names previously used, example: maiden name
- the person’s date and place of birth
- their last address
- their occupation
- the full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner
How to register a death
To register a death complete the following steps:
1. Organise for the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD) to be sent to us by email to email@example.com from the doctor who has completed the certificate.
We can only accept scans from Hospitals, Doctor's Surgeries and Doctors using their secure NHS email addresses.
2. Book an appointment to register by calling 020 8359 6400. All death registrations are in person at Hendon Town Hall.
Following the registration, we will be providing you with a copy of the Certificate for Burial or Cremation 'Green', which will enable you to go ahead with the funeral and any death certificates that have been pre-purchased.
3. If you have not pre-purchased certificates after the appointment, you will be able to order a certificate online
Book a death registration appointment
To book a death registration appointment call 020 8359 6400
Our contact centre will be able to tell you the next date and time available for an appointment.
Out of Hours Service
For customers requiring an urgent burial or cremation, the Register Office have a registrar on call from 9am to 11am on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
We can send the Certificate for Burial or Cremation 'Green' directly to the funeral director, which will enable you to go ahead with the funeral, which must be taking place on the same day.
To enable us to assist, the Doctor or Hospital need to have sent us the Medical Cause of Death certificate by email directly and you will be required to book an appointment to complete the registration during office hours. To access the service, please call 020 8359 2000
Barnet Register Office
Hendon Town Hall
Telephone: 020 8359 6400
Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.