Register a birth
Registering a birth
Every birth must be registered within 42 days of the child being born.
If your baby was born in Barnet, either at home, at Edgware Birthing Centre or at Barnet General Hospital, you can register the birth at the Register Office at Hendon Town Hall.
It is best to register your baby in the borough where they were born.
Book your appointment
There are some hospitals local to us, that are not in Barnet. If your baby was born in 1 of the following hospitals, please book an appointment with the relevant borough:
- Royal Free Hospital or University College Hospital, contact Camden
- Northwick Park hospital, contact Brent
- North Middlesex Hospital, contact Enfield
- Whittington Hospital, contact Islington
What you need to bring to your appointment
Check what information you need when registering a birth and what you need to take with you to your appointment. The GOV.UK website will provide more information on:
- what you’ll need to take to your appointment
- who can register a birth
- where to register a birth
Attending birth registration appointments
If you or anyone from your household have any symptoms of COVID-19, have tested positive or are quarantining, please do not attend an appointment at Hendon Town Hall.
We ask that only the required number of informants attend the appointment if you and the baby’s natural father/parent are:
- married to each other, only one of you should attend the appointment
- not married to each other and you want the natural father/parent’s details recorded, then it will be necessary for you both to attend
We strongly advise that you don't bring the baby or any other children to the appointment with you.
We are no longer taking certificate fees during appointments. If you would like to obtain certificates on the day, you will need to pre-pay for these whilst booking your appointment.
If you are late for you appointment, you will not be able to register and will be required to re-book another appointment.
Barnet Register office
Hendon Town Hall
Telephone: 020 8359 6400
Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm