Barnet councillors' allowances and expenses

Elected Members (Councillors) of an authority are entitled under the Members’ Allowances Scheme to receive remuneration for the duties they perform. The scheme is governed by the Local Authorities (Members’ Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003 (as amended) and the Local Government Pension Scheme and Discretionary Compensation (Local Authority (Members in England) Regulations 2003 (“the Regulations”).

All councillors are entitled to a basic allowance to cover their democratic duties. Some councillors also receive a Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA) reflecting the level of their additional duties. The scheme also includes details of allowances available to independent or co-opted members of committees.

The current Members Allowances Scheme can be accessed here. Full Council agree the Members Allowances Scheme annually at their meeting Budget meeting in March.”